Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Get the Back Up

The weekend after New Year's, my sister and I went skiing. I haven't skiied much since last year, but I was confident that I would still be warmed up to do all right for that weekend. Well other than my muscles hurting, I was doing just fine. I was going down the mountain with ease.

Until that late afternoon. What used to be wonderful powder was now becoming slippery ice and as I was going down one run I was surprised by one icy patch. What ensued was a comical roll down the hill that involved losing my glasses, goggles, hat, and one ski. When I was younger this type of wipeout would involve a sad rendition of a spoiled little brat with tears. This time, I looked with blurred eyes up the mountain and attempted to climb that mountain until I had all my possessions in hand. Even as I continued to slide down the hill, I would just get back up and climb again.

As I was attempting this foolhardy mission, I just kept thinking how this could be a metaphor for life. So you failed. Just get back up. So you wiped out on a random patch of "ice" and rolled down the hill. You can still get back up and collect yourself. You may be a little sore, but you are still alive.

In Life, I have always been afraid of failing in my decisions. But I have slowly been accepting that it's ok to fail. As in skiing, I can get back up and move on. It's a great feeling knowing that failing is not always a bad thing.

On that note, I should accept that in my cooking as well. I have been failing in my cooking times so that the food I have been cooking is undercooked. I have been reacting how I used to (blaming other things, factors, etc). But I need to realize 1.) thicker slabs of meat will need more time and 2.) it's ok to fail in cooking. Just make note of it and move on. At least this time it's not the flavor but cooking time.

So, just like with skiing, I just need to get the back up and regain composure. It's ok to fall down.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

Sophie said...

Very true analogy :).

Figuring out when the meat is cooked can definitely be tricky. I usually freak out every thanksgiving when I have to cook a turkey--so I usually end up drying it out/overcooking it. This year, I decided to buy a digital meat thermometer. It has saved many meat dishes! I love the one I bought from Target because it has a long wire attached to the thermometer needle. So I can put the thermometer needle in the turkey before sticking it in the oven. Then the wire (like a long thread) is attached to the digital thermometer, which sits outside of the oven. So I don't even have to open the oven door (thanks to the wire) because the thermometer will sound when the meat reaches the right temp!!

:)

Jay said...

Well, we have a regular meat thermometer but it takes forever! It is also pretty old. I think I will get a digital thermometer because that option sounds nifty! It would have saved my pork and chicken!