Thursday, August 26, 2010

And the Madness Begins...

School started yesterday. I had a mini breakdown because of the following story:

A week before school started, I was looking at my syllabi. I found out that my third class was basically a class for those who have no lives. The syllabus even said that many students had found that if they are taking more than one to two classes, had a job, etc. that there was no chance of getting A. Good luck trying for a B. So, knowing my limits, I decided I was going to drop the class and get another class. I picked a class that seemed open, the professor was willing to let me in, and seemed interesting (it was teaching methods, what could go wrong!). I was not allowed to do any registration activity until the first day of school though. Of course, knowing my luck, I have to work on my first day of school. But I made sure before work that I did the adding and the dropping and making sure I got everything set. And I thought everything was golden.

Til I got home. That's when I was going through the course information and documents. I found that the professor does not think linearly. The course was not what I thought it was (non-K through 12 focus was what I wanted. I got K-12 focus), and everything was being done through multiple links and websites. Not conducive for a linear learner. I started hyperventilating. Crying ensued. How could I have done this?????

And then I realized: I have been killing myself with three classes for two semesters, and did not have a break for summer...why should I kill myself now? I will try to find a third class but if not this means destiny is telling me to take an f'ing break. So...I dropped the class. I don't know how Financial Aid is going to handle this, but we will see when it comes to it. I have never understood the idea of how FA worked in the Library program. The administration recommends one to two classes. According to the FA rules, it seems you have to take three to qualify. We will see...

What does this mean in regards to graduation timeline? Nothing. I have to do an extra semester in Summer. Might as well take a second class.

Apparently my mother, through all of this, thinks I am lazy and pretending to be retired. *sigh* I have given up trying to get my mom to understand it all, but she doesn't and I give up. This is MY life, not her's. If she wants to kill herself before 65 she can go ahead. I am going to try to at least last past that without diabetes, arthritis, frozen shoulder, sleep apnea, obesity,...should I go on?

Anyway, here we go!

1 comment:

Sophie said...

I think it's good that you went with your gut. We all know what our limits are; life is stressful enough as it is! I don't believe you are lazy, school is hard work and you're doing a great job so far :D.