Sunday, February 27, 2011

Drop, Frog, and Roll: How Knitting is Life

I always wonder if people think it's weird that I am so into knitting. Why do I always go on and on about yarns, socks, and some other thing that involves knitting. Half of my usernames involve knitting. Everything in my room has some sort of knitting thing involved. Why has knitting become a huge thing in my life?

I learned how to knit when I was 12. It wasn't because of a grandmother or other relatives. It was all because I was being a brat to my daycare person and she said to me that if I didn't behave I would not be able to learn how to knit. Don't ask me how this worked, but it did. That day started the long journey of squares, scarfs, and lots of mistaken identities of other things. It wasn't until college when an exasperated friend that owned two god-awful scarves bought me Debbie Stroller's "Stitch and Bitch" did I move from scarf hell. Confidence grew. Information of better yarns were acquired. Yarn snobbiness was created in my habits. Another friend who really wanted funky socks was the one that inspired my sock knitting and changed the whole entire landscape of my knitting. I joined a knitting group. Everything became knitting themed.

I became an avid knitter.

But why? I believe it's because whatever you do, the skill is still your skill. Even when I did tons of those mistaken projects, I was still a knitter. I can make mistakes, and still go from it unscathed. If I absolutely hate a project, I can undo (or frog) it and start again.

And the fact that a craft can take a mistake and make it art...










(dropped stitches at the right hand corner)

Is amazing...I love it. As a clutzy, prone-to-mistakes human, I enjoy the fact that a mistake can be art, a mistake can be changed, a mistake can help make a better project. It makes life more interesting in my book.

2 comments:

Sophie said...

I love that you love to knit so much, and you are awesome at it! The hat you sent me is so, so cute. I really like everything you make, and the socks are always super cozy. Mirabel loves the gifts from her auntie too :).

Jay said...

Actually one of my knitting circle gals made that hat. :) But I am so happy that my socks and Mirabel stuff is loved! I always know that when I knit stuff for your family it will be loved and appreciated.