Saturday, September 12, 2009

Square Pegs

I am finding that things really do happen for a reason.

Now, people tend to say that when people are down on their luck or they are just down about their situation. Things happen for a reason. Things will get better. This horrible, sad, tragic thing happened in order to enjoy what will happen.

But, now I can truly say: things happen for a reason.

I didn't know things could come this easily. As I enter my fourth week in Graduate School, I am finding how...easy it is. Well, I can't say it is entirely easy. I had to get used to the hours (I am on the computer every day now), and I had to get used to how much reading I would be doing. It's easy in the fact that I just get it. Well, there have been some subjects that I have gotten a bit confused (Information Retrieval Systems...mind-boggling. Trust me, it's more than what the title suggests), but overall I feel so excited that it just sits in my brain and marinates and becomes one.

Which is, by the way, one definition of "knowledge". Yes, I learned that in Library School. Now, let me ask you, what's the difference between "information" and "knowledge"? Do you believe "knowledge" is a social concept? What can we gain, as Librarians, from social epistemology?

Yes, I love what I am learning. I am not struggling/fighting/trying at all. I don't have to conquer anything.

Because I already had to struggle/fight/try three years ago. I was trying to put a square peg into a round hole, and I tore my soul/heart/brain trying to do just that. I don't miss it, but I wouldn't redo the experience either. If I hadn't struggled, I don't think I would appreciate this moment. This experience. This career-move. I also believe that I finally woke up at that moment. When I fought to try to show everyone I could be a lawyer, I developed discipline. I wouldn't have had the discipline to do this online learning if it wasn't for the fact that I was trying my damnedest to get a high LSAT score. Because I spent three years trying to get into school, I am appreciating this work load so much. I know, it's weird, but I love it.

It's like cutting butter.

And that's why I say now that things really do happen for a reason. It is a cliche for a reason.

1 comment:

Sophie said...

I am so happy for you :)! It's awesome that you're truly enjoying this, what an experience. It seems it's worked out perfectly! If you're that busy and still enjoying it, that in itself says something: it's your calling :)!

I definitely want to check out those gorgeous homes in Newport! Thanks for the suggestion :).