Sunday, February 15, 2009

These Days Are Made Of This

I may have had a little bit too much Toasted Head Chardonnay. I remember movies...Wii Bowling...and Frasier. And the consumption of a lot of Indian food and low calorie Red Velvet cupcakes. But that's all.

But, let me tell you, it was fun. Best Valentine's Day ever.

I finally found my favorite Childhood picture book . The only thing I could remember was the front cover. I mean, how could you forget this picture? I also remembered the story: a motherless child escaping her evil father and an ogre of a husband (really, he was an ogre) to then capture a prince's heart by making three distinct dresses. The thing is, I could never remember the title. I used to own it, but because of pure Motherly ways it was given away. Ever since, I have been in quest for this book.



You know how I found it? While shelving the Children's Library yesterday. The library was swamped with patrons (they were closed on Thursday for Lincoln's birthday), so I figured I would do the things I do know rather then pester the Coordinator with things to do. I did the DVDS and then went along and found a huge cart of picture books that needed to be shelved. So, I went away and shelved. After much crouching, bending, and pushing, I got to the H's. And found this lovely little gem. I really wanted to read it right then and there, but had to shelve it because I'm a good little volunteer shelver. But let me tell you, I was extremely ecstatic to find it! Must go and find it in a bookstore and buy it. Because I will never be without this gem again.

What is interesting is reading the description of the book. It's a modern-day story of Cinderella. I always thought it was an inventive new fairy tale. The description described it as a modern-day story of Cinderella that "taught women to be self-sufficient." As I read that, I looked up dramatically (I really do that) and thought, "So that's how I became who I am!" Forget the fact that I grew up in a matriarchal family with a strong-willed mother. It was this book!

It's just a theory...

This weekend looks to be shaping up to be a very nice weekend. The rain. The wine. The food. The sleep. All good.

2 comments:

Sophie said...

Lol you are too funny ;)! Hey...guess what? I found the book...and because of a cool deal I have, I can get it with free shipping! Sooooo...yeah! Consider it your bday gift, I'll have it shipped directly to your house. Please tell me you haven't purchased it yet??!!

I'm glad you had a fun (and tasty) Valentine's Day! I envy your library job :P.

Jay said...

:-D No, I haven't! Oh my goodness, thank you!!!!!

I envy my job too...hopefully it will be a paid job in a month. We will see...